Hudson Valley/Catskills Landscape Design Collaboration
Taking a participatory approach to design sustainable teaching gardens for three Cornell Cooperative Extension Associations
In this project, three Design Connect student teams are working with Cornell Cooperative Extension Associations in Rockland, Orange and Sullivan counties on landscape design and planning projects for each county’s Extension Education Center. Through a participatory and multidisciplinary process, the teams will utilize site research and analysis, community visioning and landscape design to plan gardens that include sustainable hardscapes, permaculture and stormwater management concepts, and more. Collaborating with each county’s community horticulture and master gardener volunteer program, the students will design gardens that are sustainable and about to serve as demonstration and teaching tools within the local communities.
Grant Category: Student Leadership
Topics: Education; Energy, Environment and Sustainability
- Colleen Monaghan, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Sullivan County
- Community partner: Cornell Cooperative Extension of Rockland County
- Community partner: Cornell Cooperative Extension of Orange County
- Community partner: Orange-Ulster BOCES
- Community partner: Sullivan BOCES
- Community partner: Orange and Sullivan Soil and Water Conservation Districts
- Community partner: Sullivan Renaissance
Engaged Opportunity Grants
Supporting a wide range of community-engaged learning projects, from student leadership programs and partnership building to events and conference travel. Open to all faculty and staff.